ADMINISTRATION OF FUNDS
The funds are entrusted in the Minister as Trustee, who is the Minister of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development. The Chief Executive Officer administers the day to day operations of the Fund.
Utilisation of Funds
- Payment of tuition, boarding fees and wages of apprentices.
- Payment of industrial attachment allowances to polytechnic students.
- Infrastructural development in tertiary institutions approved by the Ministry.
- Procurement of training equipment such as computers, computer accessories, engineering material, technical books and periodicals, workshop machinery and training consumables for polytechnic and industrial training Centres.
- Payment of annual grants to the Ministry’s registered private industrial training centres.
- Payment of rebates to employers who:
ZIMDEF reimburses the apprentice wages up to the minimum prescribed for apprenticeship, for the first and second years, and during the period that the apprentice is attending a prescribed college course, along with any other related expenses incidental to apprenticeship.
Release skilled or semi skilled workers for upgrade training courses;
ZIMDEF reimburses wages paid to skilled workers while attending upgrade training courses at nationa institutions, as well as any other related expenses incidental to such training.
Provide training in the essential non-designated trades/occupation listed in category E of circular letter to employers;
Employers should submit claims endorsed by the trainee, through the Industrial training Branch who will certify that the training satisfactorily took place and according to the program, and then transmit them to ZIMDEF (Form V).
Provide trade testing facilities
Employers should submit their claims through the Industrial Branch for confirmation that the trade tests were infact, conducted as claimed; and for transmission to ZIMDEF (Form VII).
Release employees for part-time lecturing at ministry’s training institutions;
Employers should submit their claims through the head of institution to which the lecturer was released for confirmation of the hours worked and transmission to ZIMDEF (Form VIII).
Incur expenses on employees who successfully complete courses by the following institutions and professional bodies: HEXCO CIS, ZIM, IIZ, SAAA, IAC, IPS, CII, IBS, SIZ, CIT and PRI.
Employers should submit their claims endorsed by the trainee with proof of expenses and course attendance by the trainee, through the relevant training institution or professional body who will certify the claims, including the trainee’s course attendance, and transmit them to ZIMDEF (Form III)’